Tuesday, January 5, 2016

How Do You Reward Yourself for Reaching Your Daily Writing Goal?


Writing in itself is rewarding but when you challenge yourself to write a certain word count every day, it's nice to treat yourself to a little extra. I don't recommend the same reward each time. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

I reward myself in various ways when I've reached or surpassed my daily word count. Sometimes, I put on a favorite movie afterward such as a Mae West flick or the Marx Brothers.  Other times, it's a cup of hot chocolate as I reflect on my progress. A longer than necessary soak in the tub, along with a dab of that expensive perfume is also a nice change.

 I try not to use food too often as my reward, as writing for long amounts of time tends to up my weight naturally. Still, if you use food, try to pick something healthy that makes you feel energized such as a plate of veggies with a small amount of dip.

It's important not to get down on yourself if you miss your daily writing goal. Life happens and "should"ing on ourselves can stop the creative process all together. We don't want that. Instead, accept that tomorrow is a new day and move forward.

Writers, how to you reward yourself?

Mary
 

No comments:

Post a Comment