Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Thing about #Writing is that it's all about Support

The support we get from our families as we work on our craft is important to our emotional commitment to believe in ourselves, but also important is our support from other writers.

Writing is such a solitary craft and sometimes when the words won't come we feel isolated and alone. We think we're the only writer whose fingers aren't tapping away to a bestseller at 60 words per minute. In reality, writing for some of us is an ebb and flow process.
I have great writing days where I can count my writing in chapters, and I have terrible writing days when a few sentences are my great accomplishment. Either way, it's nice to be able to chat with another writer and know we've got each other's back.
On Twitter the other night a fellow author was having trouble getting the words done for NaNoWriMo and was frustrated. I'd had a bad day with little sleep and other issue that popped up, and could relate to her feelings of frustration. After a few minutes chatting online, we both felt better and encouraged one another to keep working…keep writing.
 It's nice to vent. You don't want to be a downer all the time on Twitter, but to share a moment of camaraderie with another writer is important. One of the reasons I enjoy Twitter so much is the ability to comment and chat with someone when I can relate to their post.
I like being encouraging to other authors, and it's nice to know that when I need to hear that encouragement, it's out there for me.
What's your feelings on support from other writers?
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment