Friday, February 22, 2013

Romance Readers, What's Your Preferred Length of Story?

I've been considering this topic for some time as I watch short stories become popular and the price of full novels being debated. When I say "full novel" I mean something above 70K words. I'm sure there will be discussion of that word count, but for now let's allow that to be the guide. In short stories I'm referring to anything under 20K words. Again, let's not get mired in the numbers.
 Readers, if an author wrote a short story series of 20K words with a new release every few months would you buy the ebooks? Perhaps just three short books.
I love writing short stories and novellas. It's fun to condense all that action into something someone could read in an afternoon.
Romance is more difficult to write, of course, due to the fact that readers like a happily-ever-after by the end of the story. I know that I do. I want to know these characters will be together forever. Or I at least want to believe that they will be because they appear to belong with one another.
I enjoy reading full novel serieses from authors such as Gena Showalter and JR Ward among others. However, those books have so many characters that a full novel is a necessity for the reader to get an understanding of all the characters and not just the hero and heroine.
In short stories and novellas, a hero and heroine are more center stage and there are fewer secondary characters.
So then readers, what's your preferred length: Short story series, novella series, or novel series?
Just a reminder: I am at Tabby's Nocturnal Nights on Saturday the 23rd (tomorrow). Stop by and let's talk social issues in books. 

2 comments:

  1. With so many books to read and so little time available for reading, I'm more likely to read a novella series than a novel series.

    Great post, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good point, Kiru. We live in a fast paced world, so sometimes it's easier to enjoy a novella rather than a full novel series.

      Delete