Thursday, December 6, 2012

Writer Hell: Two Starting Drafts of the Same Story

Apparently, I like to torture myself when it comes to writing, because I've managed to write two versions of the same story. This is Sindriel's story, for those who aren't familiar; Sindriel was a secondary character in Love's Demon Ways. He's a badass demon bargainer who's almost too sexy for words. 
I first started the sequel which I named "Sin's Way" but I didn't feel like it was going anywhere so I put it aside at 6K words. The heroine was a secondary character who'd had a small part in Love's Demon Ways. I later restarted the story with a different heroine and titled it "Sin's Secret Heart" and that story is currently 22K words. I haven't worked on it for a few months, as I've been busy with another story, but I'm ready to get back into the demon erotic romance again.
It might seem obvious which story to continue, but I've reread the first version "Sin's Way" and like it again. Yes, I'm unhappy at this point.
Should I try to combine these two stories?
There are scenes that I love in each one. I think what hold me back the most is the heroine. I want Sindriel to have a woman who's his equal and yet I'm not sure which heroine that is. I've always been good at writing heroes, but the heroines are another story. They are more complicated. Yes, I just admitted to us women as being more complicated. At least that's what I think of myself. *grin*
Anyway, Sindriel has many facets to his personality and I want to make certain that he falls in love with the right woman. I could throw both women in the story and see what happens, but I think I'd just be borrowing trouble at that point.
Has anyone out there ever written two versions of the same story? What did you do? Perhaps there is a plot element that I'm missing in the story. I'm off to brood on my circumstances for a bit.
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment