Monday, November 12, 2012

Mary Corrales on Being a NaNoWriMo Tagalong

The one thing about being a writer is that sometimes life doesn't allow the time to create at we'd like. The holidays are coming and life seems to move faster. Throw in a cold or other illness and the stress alone makes it hard to be creative. Also, like most Americans I'm on a smaller budget for Christmas thanks to a crappy economy.
This is the time of year that I find myself prioritizing the most. There is a great deal to get done each day, and I have to choose what I need to do versus what I want to do. Finishing Christmas shopping is a must because I don't want to be out in the stores passed the first week of December. When you've had your shopping cart disappear in the store because you didn't physically have your hand on it, you know what I mean.
Sorry, I got off topic…a long time ago. Anyway, that's why I've been so inspired by the tweets and blogposts of NaNo writers this month. I've never participated, but these dedicated writers have kept me on course in my own works in progress. They push for those work counts and those thousands of words pile up and become a book at the end of the month. How amazing.
I was fortunate to meet one of these authors, Ivy Bateman, and the fact that she got her NaNoWriMo story published (The Fifth Story) speaks to how inspirational authors supporting authors can be. Maybe next year I might take the plunge and participate. For now, I'm a tag-along that benefits from tweets and blogs from real NaNo participants.
So what has tagging along helped me to accomplish? I have ten more pages to re-edit and then this story is going out for submission…again. Yes, I know it's not exactly writing but I'm inspired nonetheless and I've added another 4K words to the story, thereby enriching the characters. I also already know the next story I'll work on after I send this one out.
Thank you to all you NaNoWriMo word warriors out there. You Rock!
Any other tag-alongs out there?
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment