Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The 4 Steps to Take After Submitting a Book

You've submitted your book, now what?
I've submitted my newest book to a publisher, titled Bet on the Lady, and so now is the waiting game. I'll let you all know how it goes, but this moment got me thinking about the next steps in the process. How many new writers sit back with a sigh of relief and wait to hear a yea or nay back? I know I did as a newbie. But truthfully, now is the time to finish tying up the loose ends of your project.
It's time to get ahead of the work to be done if a publisher accepts your book. Below are a few key things that you'll want to have written up while your book is away at the publishers.
1.      Blurb – You've done the synopsis, so now it's time to get that blurb done while the story is fresh in your mind. It may take weeks or months to hear back from a publisher. Have the blurb written up and it'll save you time and panic.

2.      Tagline – This is typically a single sentence teaser of approximately 25 words or less.

3.      Cover Art – Eventually, your book will need a cover. Start thinking and writing down key components of your story that you might want shown on the cover, such as background setting. Take note of the physical description of your hero and heroine to convey later. Is there a certain cover or cover model that you like? Why not note the link in case the cover artist asks for an example.

4.      Excerpt – Pick your excerpt. Different publisher want different lengths, but an average of 100-200 words is a good place to start. You can always add to it or shave it down as needed.
Having these four things written up and ready to go will not only please your editor, publisher, and cover artist, but will benefit you as well. It takes a lot of the immediate stressing from you when the cover artist and such contact you. You're ready to go and that "may" get you an earlier release date. No guarantees, but it never hurts to be prepared.
So, I have my Tagline and I've written up my blurb for Bet on the Lady. This week, I'll be looking at the story to see what excerpts I might want to use. I have some great ideas for the cover art, and will need to get those written up this week as well.
After all this is done, I will continue work on one of my other WIPs. That way, I don't drive myself nuts worrying that the publisher hates the story. Lol. I think we've all been there before. It's good to keep the mind busy, so your thoughts don't turn on you. J
Does anyone else have any suggests on these 4 elements? Feel free to comment with great places to find cover art, or any other tips I may have neglected.
Mary Corrales

Twitter

4 comments:

  1. I love doing all these things. It just gives you the knowing that you are getting ready for the book. Having all of this done will only make things run smoother once you get accepted and the book is going to come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Savannah. I suppose it's my version of thinking positively while the book's away being judged. :)

      Delete
  2. Good post - nice reminder to those of us lucky to have a book under contract! I just signed with my second one with Wild Rose Press, and even tho' the release date won't be till next year, I have to come up with the blurb, excerpt, cover ideas, bio, etc. And in the meantime, write something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your second book, Anna! Yes, we have far less time than we think. It's often said that we need to hurry up and wait, but there is actually lots to be done in the meantime.

      Definitely, the next step requires that we write something else. The next book must always be in the works.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete